![]() |
![]() |
|
|||
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Gascoigne shattered by World Cup exclusion LONDON, June 1 (AFP) Paul Gascoigne has described Glenn Hoddles decision to axe him from the World Cup as "the worst thing that has ever happened to me". Gascoigne fled from Englands base in La Manga, Spain, after being told the crushing news on Sunday night in a private meeting with the England boss.
The 31-year-old Middlesborough midfielder said: "This is the worst thing thats ever happened to me. I cant believe this has happened." Hoddle is said to have called time on Gazzas France 98 ambitions for purely football and fitness reasons after he failed to make his mark on Englands final three warm-up matches against Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Belgium.
Bryan Robson, Gascoignes manager at Middlesborough, believes this blow spells the end of Gazzas career on the world cup stage. "He will be 35 when the next World Cup comes around and knows he wont get another chance."
Taken aback by the news he added: "Im surprised. When Gazzas fit, hes the one who can do it at the highest level. " It also surprises me because Glenn has been quoted as saying all along that hes going to stick with the people who got him there." I know he will be very upset about this. He loves his football and will be distressed."
One of the most controversial figures in world sport Gascoigne was widely expected to be at the hub of Englands midfield as Hoddle attempts to win the World Cup for England for the first time since 1966. But Hoddle was disappointed to see Middlesboroughs five million dollar signing back in the headlines for all the wrong reasons last month when pictured emerging from a club and eating a kebab in the early hours. The England boss warned his star player that if he misbehaved again he would be out of his France 98 plans.
Gascoigne appeared to heed the warning but ultimately not enough for Hoddle to risk his inclusion in the squad.
© - AFP - 1998